(Common to CSE & IT) 3 1 0 4
To provide an in-depth knowledge of the design of digital circuits and the use of Hardware Description Language in digital system design.
• To understand different methods used for the simplification of Boolean functions
• To design and implement combinational circuits
• To design and implement synchronous sequential circuits
• To design and implement asynchronous sequential circuits
• To study the fundamentals of VHDL / Verilog HDL
UNIT I BOOLEAN ALGEBRA AND LOGIC GATES 8
Review of binary number systems - Binary arithmetic - Binary codes - Boolean algebra and theorems - Boolean functions - Simplifications of Boolean functions using Karnaugh map and tabulation methods - Implementation of Boolean functions using logic gates.
UNIT II COMBINATIONAL LOGIC 9
Combinational circuits - Analysis and design procedures - Circuits for arithmetic operations - Code conversion - Introduction to Hardware Description Language (HDL)
UNIT III DESIGN WITH MSI DEVICES 8
Decoders and encoders - Multiplexers and demultiplexers - Memory and programmable logic - HDL for combinational circuits
UNIT IV SYNCHRONOUS SEQUENTIAL LOGIC 10
Sequential circuits - Flip flops - Analysis and design procedures - State reduction and state assignment - Shift registers - Counters - HDL for Sequential Circuits.
UNIT V ASYNCHRONOUS SEQUENTIAL LOGIC 10
Analysis and design of asynchronous sequential circuits - Reduction of state and flow tables - Race-free state assignment - Hazards. ASM Chart.
TUTORIAL: 15 TOTAL : 60 PERIODS
1. M.Morris Mano, "Digital Design", 3rd edition, Pearson Education, 2007.
1. Charles H.Roth, Jr. "Fundamentals of Logic Design", 4th Edition, Jaico Publishing House, Cengage Earning, 5th ed, 2005.
2. Donald D.Givone, "Digital Principles and Design", Tata McGraw-Hill, 2007.